Monday, August 27, 2012

Where is God?!


A helicopter was just shot down in Syria.
The Taliban beheads 17 people for having a party.
Tropical storm Isaac is to hit Florida anytime.
The Republican Convention is delayed.
The GOP is worried that momentum will be lost.
The body of a Navy Seal is brought home to rest in Michigan.
Japan is dealing with tsunami warnings.

These are just a few of the things I just watched – courtesyof Mhz Worldview on PBS. (I find it refreshing to have a native reporter give the news of their country; not to mention hearing news that doesn’t just involve our little nation.)

Don’t get me wrong… the 2012 election is much discussed here at the Verkaik dinner table. Fears and concerns regarding where we are and where we are headed courtesy of the current administration added to the frustration of not being able to truly vote our conscience and we are left wondering: What can we really do?

Storms and natural disasters rampant, death-tolls high. Haiti, El Salvador, Japan… many more.

Wars. Unjust governments. Evil men.

It begs the question: Where is God?!

He's not far. He is there, holding the hand of the widow as her husband is washed away in the floodwaters. He is cradling the child as he finds out his parents were shot in the street-fighting. He is riding in the car with the family of the fallen soldier as the street is jammed with flags and people saluting.

He is not powerless but personal.

I will not give you a theological treatise on the sovereignty of God, but I can say from personal experience that the awful things that happen to you are not because God is far from you.

I know.

He is close to the brokenhearted. He saves those crushed in spirit. He is holding you even when you think He’s abandoned you.

I have no idea what is in store for our country. I want to blow a whistle and scream for the whole world to cease fighting and bickering. I want to take all the bombs away and put the bad guys in time-out. I wish I could fly around like Superman and prevent every disaster. 

But I can’t.

I must trust my all-powerful, all-knowing PERSONAL Abba God, Yahweh.

Join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment