Friday, April 6, 2012

I want YOUR feedback!!

I've decided to up my posts to 3-4 times a week. Like I mentioned before, it's quite scary to lay that out there because now you know if I fail. But since we all know that each one of us fails in some form or fashion, I'm stepping down from the pedestal. :)

But - what to write???! 
That was by far my greatest deterrent to that many weekly posts until I thought about it.

You all know that my degree is in elementary education and I used to teach 2nd graders. But what you probably don't know is that my favorite part of being a teacher was connecting whatever I was teaching back to God. For example: "Why will 8 + 7 always equal 15?"  Answer: "Because God never changes." Now... here's a much harder one... :)  "Why do the grammar rules in English ALWAYS change?" Answer: "Hmm... (insert story of the Tower of Babel). Mainly because English is one part of every other language in the world put in a blender on high!!" Another one of my favorite moments was in Science - teaching about the Solar System. My chalkboard (no SmartBoards for this school!) perfectly clean, I would take a piece of chalk and make one very small barely discernible dot on it. Then I would turn around to the class and explain (choking up half the time) how that's us compared to God. He created our immense universe yet, He died for us. That one concept can turn your mind inside-out in a hurry! I loved watching the awe cross their faces.

God's creativity in action!
Those times made teaching worth it. Watching their faces grasp a new understanding of how intricately they were made or how creatively God made the animals and insects, better yet, blowing their minds with how big God is and yet how personable.

My goal was to help them see that in everything they must see beyond that "thing" to God. That skill is one I desire for my own children. They must learn to think critically and wrestle with issues and search God's Word for wisdom.


I find that my world becomes so narrow and unattached as a mom unless I purpose to wrestle through topics/events in light of the culture contrasted by God's Word. It is strenuous but it also gives me a chance to engage my mind and process what is going on around me. 

I'd also like to do the same with books. I have a severe love of the book as a general entity. I've read many of them and have lots to say, good or otherwise, on each. A fellow blogger, Leanne Penny, said "Some books are candy - once in awhile it's okay but it's not good to have too much." It's important to sift through and discover what the author believes. Each and every person has a worldview. Guaranteed it will come out somewhere if you look long enough. :) I've begun something already in this area with The Book Basket. As you can see, there are quite a few "in progress" and as I come across tidbits that I find interesting, I will share!

This isn't a DIY site, but every now and then I find a really awesome recipe or project that is just amazing and demands to be posted!! 

I will continue to post my thoughts each week on The Dance. Each of us moves in our dance - whether the sun is shining or it's pouring down rain. Sharing keeps things real... it's too easy to start forming a nice little plastic mask.


Each one of you no matter where you are has a voice. :) I would love to hear from you!! Jot a quick comment below with questions/ideas/topics/books that interest you. If there's something you'd like to see a post on, let me know.

Keep on dancing!!

1 comment:

  1. I think anything you write about is good. I really do like the idea of an occasional DIY project or recipe. Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete